Tuesday 18 March 2008

Tinkering with suffix-trees and algorithms

I've been tinkering with learning algorithms for my computer-go player, jgogears.

It linearises board positions and then uses classic string processing techniques, principally a large suffix-tree. Suffix-trees are widely used in information processing, information theory and compression fields of computer science. I also used them extensively in my recent Ph.D.

Currently I'm training with about 200 go games (~40k moves), giving me about 950K nodes in my suffix tree.

I've just switched my linearisation method from a strict distance measure to one which capitalises on adjacency much better.

There are a number of tuning parameters for the rate at which I grow the tree. I'll be tinkering with them as I increase the number of boards I'm using for training.

No comments: